What is Afd.sys?
Afd.sys is an acronym for Ancillary Function Folder and is a Winsock file function driver. It is a core Windows System File and is required for proper functioning of the operating system
You can find this file under the following address location â€“
Is AFD.sys virus?
No, it not a virus but sure has some compatibility issues with some Antivirus programs such as Zone Alarm and Symantec End Point security. It is simple a false positive alarm and you should ignore it.
Some if the common Error messages associated with afd.sys process are â€“
- stop 0xd1 afd.sys (BSOD)
- afd.sys is missing
- stop 0x0000000A afd.sys (BSOD)
- stop 0x000000D1 afd.sys (BSOD)
- afd.sys is infected and should be replaced
- driver_irql_not_less_or_equal afd.sys (BSOD)
- driver_left_locked_pages_in_process afd.sys
Here BSOD = Blue Screen of Death Errors.
How to fix afd.sys Blue Screen Error?
While I was searching for this problem a few days back I got many expert recommendations of downloading this file from third party, register and re-register sys files. Some even suggested me that my computer has been severely infected and I need to make a fresh installation of my Dual boot system (Windows XP and Windows 7).
Finally I consulted with official Microsoft support and they provided me the complete guidance to fix this problem. This is what you need to do. Simply download any of the packages from Windows Download centre.
- Download the Update for Windows 2000.
- Download the Update for Windows Server 2003.
- Download the Update for Windows Server 2003 for Itanium-based System.
- Download the Update for Windows Server 2003 x 64 Editions.
- Download the Update for Windows XP.
- Download the Update for Windows XP x64 Edition.
Fix afd.sys Windows 7/Vista Missing Errors
If you are getting a missing error message simply repair your computer using the SFC /SCANNOW command â€“
- Insert Windows 7 CD/DVD
- Restart your computer
- Press any key to boot from CD/DVD
- Select the repair button
- Now press the Command prompt icon
- Type the following command â€“ â€œSFC /SCANNOWâ€
- Wait for the process to complete
- Restart your computer.
You should never download system files from third party websites or copy paste dll, sys files from another system to your computer.
If you are still unable to fix this problem you can browse through Microsoft knowledge base or ask for help using the comment section here.