Soundflower is a Mac OS X system extension which permits applications to pass audio to other apps. The extension is quite easy to use as it simply presents itself as an audio device allowing other audio apps to send or receive audio without the need of any other support. It is free, open-source and runs on PPC and Mac Intel computers.
Soundflower Configuration Tutorial
In this tutorial we will show you how to capture audio with Soundflower system extension.Â First of all you need to download and install soundflower on your computer.
Launching System Sound Preference
After you have installed soundflower, you need to launch the sound system preference and you can see evidences of the extension in the output and input tab. Select output tab and choose soundflower(2ch). As soon as you select this, any sound coming out from the speakers of Mac will be routed through soundflower first. The sound can be anything ranging from music to e-mail and Twitter alerts.
Capture SoundFlower Audio With Quick Time Player/ GarageBand
After this you need to configure your capture application. There are a couple of apps namely Quick Time Player and GarageBand in Mac which captures Soundflower’s audio.
- In order to configure QuickTime Player with Soundflower, launch QuickTime Player, choose File and then New Audio Recording.
- In the new audio recording window, click on the arrow pointing downwards which will then pop up a menu from where you need to choose Soundflower(2ch).
- When you are all set to capture the audio, click Record to record audio from SoundFlower
Following are the steps in order to configure Soundflower with GarageBand:
- Launch GarageBand, in the new project window chose Acoustic instrument. It will create a GarageBand project which contains just a single digital audio track.
- In the new project template window use default tempo and time and key-signature settings and click create button.
- Open the preferences of GarageBand and select Audio/MIDI tab and select Soundflower (2ch) from the Audio Output and Audio Input pop-up-menus.
- If the info panel fails to appear, then go to Track and Show Tack Info. Choose Stereo 1/2 Soundflower (2ch) from the input source pop-up menu.
- Click on Record to capture audio from SoundFlower.
Monitoring Mac’s Sound Using SoundFlower Bed
As said earlier that when you choose Soundflower as the audio output of Mac, you can no longer hear it from speakers or headphones. In order to monitor what’s going you, launch Soundflower bed app and click the soundflower bed menu bar item which appears and then choose speakers or headphones from the menu. As soon as you do this, you can hear the source audio too.
SoundFlower with Audacity
Audacity and Soundflower both can be used to record Youtube and other streaming video.
In order to remove soundflower, you need to perform the following steps:
First of all open the downloader DMG file and then run the script shown below. This will remove the existing driver.
You must make sure that the driver is uninstalled correctly and then reboot your machine. If you do not reboot, then there can be problems with new Â installations in that machine.
Soundflower SnowLeopard System Requirements And Download
The system requirements for Soundflower are:
- PPC/Intel computers
- Mac OS X 10.5 or higher version
Soundflower For Mac
Just click the link given below to download cycling 74 Soundflower.
Soundflower For Windows/PC
As of now Soundflower is not available for Windows but there are other Soundflower alternative programs for windows.
Soundflower Â OS X Â Alternatives
Here are some of the alternatives to Soundflower:
- Audio Hijack Pro
- WireTap Studio
- Total Recorder
- Wire Tap Pro
We found Soundflower to be amazing audio routing software and it is quite useful in routing audio from apps such as iTunes and Spotify.