There are very few people who know about the Open Solaris. The Open Solaris is a Sun FreeWare (SFW) project created by Sun Microsystems. This is a community driven open source Operating System. It is mainly aimed at Developers and System Admins. It provides a rich, coherent platform for building and running large scale applications. Open Solaris is compatible with PARC® and x86 families of processor architectures like UltraSPARC®, SPARC64, Pentium, AMD64, and Xeon EM64T.
There are different releases to fit your needs and requirements. You can either go for a OpenSolaris 2008.05 or a Solaris Express Community Edition. There are also many Community Distributions like:
- BeleniX is a *NIX distribution that is built using the OpenSolaris source base.
- MartUX mBE BlastwaRe Edition is the first non-SXCR OpenSolaris distribution that is available both for SPARC and for x64/x86.
- NexentaOS is a complete GNU-based free and open source operating system built on top of the OpenSolaris kernel and runtime.
- SchilliX is an OpenSolaris based UNIX Live CD and distribution for the x86, x64 and EM64T architectures.
- MilaX is a small size Live CD distribution which runs completely off a CD or a USB pendrive.
So if you are looking for a Free OpenSolaris 2008.05 CD then you can visit the SUN’s site to get it to your home. If you cannot Download the OS then you can request for a CD from SUN. The OpenSolaris 2008.05 Live CD makes it simple to boot to a fully functional desktop environment, including Firefox and Thunderbird. So you do not need to install the OS onto your system. After familiarizing yourself with the OpenSolaris environment and trying it for few days you can then choose to install it onto your disk. Once installed, you can then connect to the OpenSolaris Package Repository to install additional software at OpenSolaris.org.
You can fill the FORM and get your Live OpenSolaris CD.