Slax Portable Linux – Boot From USB, CD, MP3 Player, HDD or Camera
Written By Samrat| 6 October 2008| 15 Comments
Table Of Contents:
Slax is a Linux operating system that is basically a Slackware based and you can have it running on a LiveCD or boot it from a USB or directly from the RAM. One good thing about it is that it comes packed with a full range of applications pre-installed with it. Of course small in size and you can customize it as you like. This USB bootable Linux enables to have desktop based environment for you no matter wherever you go. Any system that allows you to boot from USB can have it running Slax for you. So you can run Slax right from your CD/DVD, USB Drive, MP3 Player or even from a Camera.
So at a step away you have got some good applications like word processor, email application for you along with many other features of an operating system. The interesting thing that attracts your attention is bootable Linux rather than any other thing like LiveCD. Most of the builds of Linux have support for LiveCD and USB based bootable versions of OS. There are few things that makes Slax a step ahead of them. One such thing is easy installation on USB. All you have to do is just decompress the TAR file and run the executable file to have the Linux on it for you.
It is very simple than any other bootable Linux I had ever used. With a size of 188 MB Slax is a surprising innovation for no trade off of size and you can have it on 1GB USB drive like I had one. With rich features and high customizability the look and feel is good with many applications that come built-in with Slax.
- artwork – gtk+ 2.0 Change Theme
- Games – Fishie Fishie, Crack Attack 1.1.14, PiX Frogger 1.0, ChildsPlay 0.90.1, LTris 1.0.11
- network – Transmission 1.11, ZoIPer 2.02, Telnet 1.5, ELinks 0.11, FireFox 220.127.116.11, Google Earth 4.3, nmap 4.60, Skype 18.104.22.168, LFTP+FTP Pack, Grsync 0.6, Linux DC++, kmess 1.5
- develop – Python 2.5.2, KompoZer 0.7.10
- console – John the Ripper 22.214.171.124, Telnet 1.5, debian package tools (dpkg), htop 0.7
- editors – Vim 7.1, KompoZer 0.7.10
- libraries – Python 2.5.2, Hamlib 1.2.7, CairoMM 1.4.8
- graphics – Gqview 2.1.5, Gpicview 0.1.9
- education – ChildsPlay 0.90.1
- multimedia – Binary codecs for MPlayer
- system – gtk+ 2.0 Change Theme, Trash on desktop 0.2
- utilities – Krusader 1.90.0, ISO Master, LFTP+FTP Pack, Grsync 0.6